[MPlayer-dev-eng] configure vs. configure

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Tue Nov 11 22:07:53 CET 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:51:53 +0200 (EET)
"Ivan Kalvachev" <ivan at cacad.com> wrote:

> detection to yes or to auto? I don't see any. And I think I should,
> It is design issue. As I said I had nerly same problem with the very first
> version of configure v2. This is the reason the oldest
> detections do use "!=no" while the newest don't.
> http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/main/configure.diff?r1=1.285&r2=1.286

Hmm.. the second half of this change is wrong and should be reversed.

> > If you use --enable-XXX you you know what you are doing and
> > force the option on, thus disabling autodetection.
> This is excacly the problem. This is enable option, not force.

That's a way how you look at it. In terms of mplayer it
was always a "enable means you know you want it"

> If the option is disabled by default (e.g. xvmc is still beta)
> When i --enable-option, i actually skip the detection. In this
> case the detection should always make check (for yes and for auto).
>
> If the option is enabled by default, then --enable-option is used as yes
> (force).
>
> This meen that detection behavior is dependent if option is enabled by
> default or no.
> This inconsistensy is very missleading and should be targeted.

Yes, that's a problem, but a very small one, as everyone that
wants to use experimental options is an expert and knows what
he is doing otherwise he wouldnt use them. So, we can live with that.

> Ohh, i talk about mplayer, you talk about autoconf. Again no examples. OK,
> why I resumed the treath? I helped a (l)user to fix him compilation
> problem. The reason? forgoten --enable-smb. Yeh the very same function
> that
> was discussed before.
> I don't want to flame, but for this user this is a bug. For you
> this is a feature. Sounds familiar?! I hope this is not the way for world
> domination

No comments here, as i dont understand the whole problem

> If you really want the force, then force option should be added to
> configure and all --enable-options to be auto.
>

>  --enable-xv)          _xv=auto        ;;
>  --disable-xv)         _xv=no          ;;
>  --force-xv)           _xv=yes         ;;
> Could it be any better than this??

That depends on whether Arpi and/or Alex like it, this is not
my domain anymore.
But imho, we dont need it.

			Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu