[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFMpeg codecs

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Nov 9 14:04:40 CET 2003

Hi,

> I have now a problem about codec priority.
>
> ffmpeg 8BPS decode was set as default, if not present in libavcodec
> (older version) MPlayer will fall back to its own native codec.
>
> I put msvideo1 and rpza with lower priority than the internal codecs,
> because they were committed to ffmpeg some time ago (about a month) but
> only the newest version (committed a few minutes ago) work ok with
> MPlayer. So, if i set them as preferred decoder and you have an old
> version of libavcodec, MPlayer will select the ffmpeg codec (since it's
> there) and it will fail (crash/wrong output/other nasty things).

No one should use older ffmpeg than mplayer (except the developers
for testing when searching the date when a bug came in).

So feel free to set them as default.

> +    /* Pass palette to codec */
> +#if LIBAVCODEC_BUILD >= 4691
> +    if (sh->bih && (sh->bih->biBitCount <= 8) &&
> +	   (lavc_codec->id == CODEC_ID_8BPS ||
> +	    lavc_codec->id == CODEC_ID_MSRLE ||
> +	    lavc_codec->id == CODEC_ID_MSVIDEO1))
> +	    {

I dont like this, you shouldnt test for codec id, it's nonsence.
It must be enough to test the bitcount only.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu