[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFMpeg codecs

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Sat Nov 8 00:20:26 CET 2003

Hi all!
Attached patch allows MPlayer to use 8BPS, msrle, msvideo1 and rpza
from libavcodec.

I have now a problem about codec priority.

ffmpeg 8BPS decode was set as default, if not present in libavcodec
(older version) MPlayer will fall back to its own native codec.

I put msvideo1 and rpza with lower priority than the internal codecs,
because they were committed to ffmpeg some time ago (about a month) but
only the newest version (committed a few minutes ago) work ok with
MPlayer. So, if i set them as preferred decoder and you have an old
version of libavcodec, MPlayer will select the ffmpeg codec (since it's
there) and it will fail (crash/wrong output/other nasty things).

The problem is that with this solution the new ffmpeg implementation
will not be tested, so we'll never know if they can replace MPlayer
native codecs.

Msrle have less functions than our native codec (will be solved soon),
so it's not preferred.

I think we can move them to default decoders in 2weeks, because people
using MPlayer CVS are probably also using libavcodec CVS. Anyone
against it?

If noone complain or have a better solution i'll commit it this
weekend.

Ciao,
 Roberto