[MPlayer-dev-eng] Makefile insufficiency

Dan Christiansen danchr at daimi.au.dk
Sun Nov 2 13:18:47 CET 2003

On 2/11-2003, at 11:09, Attila Kinali wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 02:01:15 +0100
> Dan Christiansen <danchr at daimi.au.dk> wrote:
>
>> IMO an even better solution is to activate the line "# .PHONY:
>> $(COMMON_DEPS)". It makes MPlayer's Makefile work like most others;
>> checking the entire source tree until it finds a change, and
>> recompiling if necessary.
>
> IIRC .PHONY is to declare a target as virtual (ie, it doesnt
> produce a file). Ie you do fix it with a bug.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but yes, .PHONY makes a target
virtual. Another solution, perhaps more correct, is to change the rule
names from eg. "libavcodec/libavcodec.a:" to "libavcodec:"

>> This reminds me of another change I once did to the MPlayer build
>> system; to run ranlib immediately after linking a library. The patch
>> is
>> attached below - it's edited by hand, but I hope it still applies. It
>> contains the above proposed change as well.
>
> 1) this patch is outdated (and thus removes some stuff which
> it should not)

Such as? There are a couple of lines in configure which aren't strictly
related to this, and perhaps I should have removed them. Personally, I
find them useful.

> 2) ranlib is only used by libavcodec

No, on Darwin, it *must* be run on every single archive file prior to
linking. The script darwinfixlibs.sh does this currently, but having a
script for running ranlib rather than just running it seems like
needlessly complicating things.

- Dan