[MPlayer-dev-eng] vo_fbdev does not compile with debian unstable kernel headers

Dmitry Baryshkov mitya at school.ioffe.ru
Sat Nov 1 15:47:02 CET 2003

Hello,
On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 02:33:20PM +0100, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 16:13:35 +0300
> "Dmitry Baryshkov" <mitya at school.ioffe.ru> wrote:
>

> > No! We should never include kernel headers from kernel! They can be
> > broken, there can be no <linux/autoconf*.h>, etc. There are headers in
> > /usr/include, and we _must_ be happy with them. IMHO it's the same
> > reason, as for not using /usr/include/asm -> /usr/src/linux/include/asm,
> > /usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux symlinks!
>
> Sorry ? If i trust any header files, than those which came with
> my kernel. How can i be sure that those who came with my distro
> do match my kernel ?

Huh. IIRC, there was some FAQ, why linux&asm headers doesn't need to match
current kernel.

> And yes, there is a very good reason why i have /usr/include/linux
> and /usr/include/asm as a symlink.

Did you see that in _standard_ distros? IMHO not. And there are reasons
why it's not done this way.

> BTW: linux/autoconf.h should ALWAYS match the kernel you are running.
> (and not the kernel which someone from your distro is running)

Why? What program uses CONFIG_* from running kernel? Do you recompile
most programs after upgrading kernel or changing kernel feature set?
Suppose, no. So they don't match your current kernel :)

> > > (And no, /usr/src/kernel-headers-`uname -r`/include should not be supported
> > > as this is imho crap, that came from SuSE/RH who didnt want to install a
> > > complete kernel)
> >
> > And Debian too :)
> > And why should I install the _whole_ kernel, if I want only headers
> > to compile _modules_  for standard kernel?
>
> Yey, but then install the headers at a standard location, (like
> als SuSE releases did)

See above. I don't see a point to mess programs and kernel modules
includes.

--
With best wishes
Dmitry Baryshkov