[MPlayer-dev-eng] vo_fbdev does not compile with debian unstable kernel headers

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sat Nov 1 14:33:20 CET 2003

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 16:13:35 +0300
"Dmitry Baryshkov" <mitya at school.ioffe.ru> wrote:

> No! We should never include kernel headers from kernel! They can be
> broken, there can be no <linux/autoconf*.h>, etc. There are headers in
> /usr/include, and we _must_ be happy with them. IMHO it's the same
> reason, as for not using /usr/include/asm -> /usr/src/linux/include/asm,
> /usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux symlinks!

Sorry ? If i trust any header files, than those which came with
my kernel. How can i be sure that those who came with my distro
do match my kernel ?

And yes, there is a very good reason why i have /usr/include/linux
and /usr/include/asm as a symlink.

BTW: linux/autoconf.h should ALWAYS match the kernel you are running.
(and not the kernel which someone from your distro is running)

> > (And no, /usr/src/kernel-headers-`uname -r`/include should not be supported
> > as this is imho crap, that came from SuSE/RH who didnt want to install a
> > complete kernel)
>
> And Debian too :)
> And why should I install the _whole_ kernel, if I want only headers
> to compile _modules_  for standard kernel?

Yey, but then install the headers at a standard location, (like
als SuSE releases did)

			Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu