[MPlayer-dev-eng] Delayed Packets

Dave Lambley mplayer-dev-eng at dlambley.freeserve.co.uk
Wed May 7 22:50:53 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 19:39, Rohit Kapoor wrote:
> I tried to look at the MPlayer code, but could not figure out an answer to
> my question. Can somebody please tell me what MPlayer does with delayed
> packets, i.e., what kind of deadlines does it have for packets (are these
> deadlines strict) and what does it do when a packet misses its deadline?

What kind of streaming do you mean? For HTTP streaming, the OS handles
all the flow control and packet re-ordering rather than MPlayer. This
isn't really the place to ask about that.

When a packet is lost or arrives late, the OS will hold on to any
subsequent packets received until the missing one arrives, before
passing the data up to MPlayer in the correct order.

The deadlines will depend on the server's OS, but will be something like
[Average round trip time] * [Fudge factor].

Cheers,
Dave