[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer G2

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Mar 31 03:15:33 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > As I promised when I announced my leaving of the project maintainership,
> > I started some new video player project (nearly) from scratch.
> > For now I call it MPlayer G2 (as generation 2).
>
> How are you planning to design the startup and runtime user control
> interface for pluggable modules inside the player?

Actually I didn't think of that yet. I have no idea...
Any good idea welcomed (but no XML please:))

For now I'm rtying to encapsulate every neede dinfo into the URL,
it works for stream layer most time.
(like dvd://titleno[.chapter-range]:[angle][/device])

> The reason I am asking is that I have a similar problem in two other
> projects I am involved in (one software radio project and a VOIP
> project). My idea is that there isn't any difference between startup
> and runtime configuration and they should therefore be handled in the
> same way. One project that does this is ALSA but I couldn't rip out
> the communication lib cleanly cause the communication went back and
> forth from kernel to user space.

I don't want to overcomplicate this. Maybe a simple struct like our
config_t now, usable to export any parameters from the libraries for
the UI. For the runtime configuration changes there will be a control()
function for each API.

> What is your plan in this regard?

No plans yet, but I affraid i can't avoid solving this problem soon :(
(as I need to pass many parametesr to the demuxers)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team