[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer G2

Anders Johansson ajh at watri.org.au
Mon Mar 31 02:48:01 CEST 2003

Hi,

> As I promised when I announced my leaving of the project maintainership,
> I started some new video player project (nearly) from scratch.
> For now I call it MPlayer G2 (as generation 2).

How are you planning to design the startup and runtime user control
interface for pluggable modules inside the player?

The reason I am asking is that I have a similar problem in two other
projects I am involved in (one software radio project and a VOIP
project). My idea is that there isn't any difference between startup
and runtime configuration and they should therefore be handled in the
same way. One project that does this is ALSA but I couldn't rip out
the communication lib cleanly cause the communication went back and
forth from kernel to user space.

I have been searching a lot to a generic solution in shape of a
library or configuration code generator (like gengetopt) to do the
job. Best thing I have managed to come up with so far is XML-RPC
(www.xml-rpc.org), but it is a bit to bloated for me (and some
religions has banned xml).

I found plenty of too simple projects:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/genparse
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt/gengetopt.html
http://autogen.sourceforge.net/autoopts.html
http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/cfg/
where autogen and cfg are the most useful ones.

IMHO This is not a unique problem, there has to be other projects
needing or having solved the same problem, question is which ones?
I have found one http://www.musickit.org/ but it is written in
Objective C and C, using Apple's OpenStep/Cocoa API.

What is your plan in this regard?

Cheers,
//Anders