[mplayer-dev-eng] use gcc instead of calling ld directly

Rüdiger Kuhlmann mplayer-list-UGa6JdjLujS2 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Tue Mar 25 00:42:00 CET 2003

>--[Paul Jarc]--<prj at po.cwru.edu>
> Rüdiger Kuhlmann <mplayer-list-UGa6JdjLujS2 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de> wrote:

> > You say you know autoconf - however, the file where autoconf generates
> > configure from is called configure.ac. Go figure.
> In previous versions, it was called configure.in, and the current
> version still uses that if configure.ac does not exist.

Yes, I know. But current version uses configure.ac for the simple reason
that so much has changed between autoconf-ancient and autoconf-2.5x that you
use configure.ac to show that it's for recent autoconf. It wouldn't make
sense to code a configure.in for autoconf-2.13, wouldn't it?

> > That's bad practice because it's an auto-generated file.

> It's a matter of taste.  As you say, don't let your dogma get in the
> way.  For projects where the autoconf-related files change very
> rarely, and most developers are not familiar with autoconf, it may be
> preferable to making all the CVS-checkout users install autoconf, and
> making all the developers learn it.

If you're a developer, then you have your standard tools. autoconf is just
one of them, whether you like it or not. So it's actually reasonable to
expect developers to have a recent version of it. If those files change
rarely, then just make a new CVS snapshot including autogenerated files (and
without removing the CVS subdirs) as soon as it does change, and it's no
problem again.

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.