[MPlayer-dev-eng] Offer of help to get me started

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Mar 24 01:41:04 CET 2003

Arpi writes:
 > > Arpi dislikes style guidelines and has refused them in the past.  Now
 >
 > with reason...

of course

 > imho it's a very bad idea (although very common) to force a given
 > indentation/coding style to every developers.

You have a point here, especially in a project such as MPlayer where
some developers only modify small areas of the code.

But I think the problem lies in files that are inconsistent with
themselves and mix several different styles.  That is the worst of
both worlds IMHO.

 > if someone wants to look at the code in a given indent/style, he can run
 > 'indent' on the tree anytime. i see no reason for messing up the cvs with
 > cosmetics.

For the documentation we are following a coding style and all the
contributors are happier with it than before.  The problem of bloated
cvs logs/diffs can be addressed by strictly splitting off cosmetics
from "real" commits, like we do with the docs.

 > but as diego mentioned, i don't play any more, so do what you want.
 > just my 0.02 Forint or something :)

:)

Diego