[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF proposal

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Mar 13 16:42:57 CET 2003

Hi

On Thursday 13 March 2003 00:16, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 01:50:11AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > Somehow the MPCF discussion seems to have died off... So here's what I
> > propose:
> >
> > 1) Anyone who has remaining complaints or issues that haven't yet been
> > resolved with MPCF should post them now, and they should be discussed.
>
> One other issue I'd like to raise, if it's not already clear... As I
> understand it, the index only stores keyframes. For video-only files
> this is clear, and I assume for audio-only files, every packet is a
> 'keyframe'. But what's the plan for audio+video muxed? Should the
> index only point to audio packets that begin along with video
> keyframes?
hmm, its possible to have multiple video streams, so this doesnt seem like a
good idea, i allso would prefer to keep streams independant if possible, so
reencoding of the video stream is possible without reindexing the audio

> Or maybe audio shouldn't be indexed at all, and we should
> just rely on the requirement that files be interleaved in order, so
> that the player just starts with the first audio packet after the
> video keyframe when seeking...
hmm, sounds like this could cause problems perhaps, dunno
anyway indexes are small (~25kb per hour if we have 2 audio packets per sec)
so it doesnt seem worth to do weird tricks here

btw, completly strict interleaving doesnt seem like a good idea either if we
allow multiple video streams, the performance loss would be too large IMHO
and even for many audio steams it is very likely bad
so i suggest that interleaving is a MUST only for videos with 1 video stream &
<=2 audio streams
any comments?

[...]

Michael