[MPlayer-dev-eng] CVS version fails with cross-compile due to Makefile bug

armin.gerritsen at philips.com armin.gerritsen at philips.com
Fri Jun 20 09:55:05 CEST 2003

Hello,

Here a small second bug in the latest CVS version. When doing a crosscompile
for an ARM platform (but I'm pretty sure ot is every cross-compile), the
makefile has an error.

After doing a configure the Makefile has a few extra lines compared to older
versions. These will obviously fail on crosscompilation:

 (Line 230 in my Makefile)

 codecs.conf.h: $(PRG_CFG)
  ./$(PRG_CFG) ./etc/codecs.conf > $@

 codec-cfg.o: codecs.conf.h

They fail because prog_cfg is made by

 $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -g codec-cfg.c mp_msg.c -o $(PRG_CFG) -DCODECS2HTML
 $(EXTRA_LIB) $(I18NLIBS)

 ... which in case of crosscompilation will fail to run on the host.

The codec-cfg* files changed also, so I guess that during this change the
guy forgot to think about crosscompilation support. :-)

All one has to do is change the $(CC) by gcc. A more cleaner fix (which BTW
is not mine, so I'm not taking credit for it) would be included in:

http://openzaurus.bkbits.net:8080/buildroot/anno/packages/mplayer/mplayer-ma
kefile.patch at 1.4?nav=index.html|src/.|src/packages|src/packages/mplayer|hist
/packages/mplayer/mplayer-makefile.patch|diffs/packages/mplayer/mplayer-make
file.patch at 1.4

It shows, that I'm not alone in this. :-)

It involves introducing a BUILD_CC value. If the MPlayer-team is planning on
using more nice trics like this dynamic creation of headers, that would
probably be the best option.

Regards,

Armin