[MPlayer-dev-eng] mencoder very slow on x86-64 architecture

Martin Jungowski jungowsk at in.tum.de
Sun Jul 27 15:39:55 CEST 2003

Hi,

I also tried CVS (sorry, forgot to mention it in my first post) - didn't
work. And yes, the AMD Opteron microprocessor does run IA32 code in
either legacy mode (that is when booting a 32-bit Kernel - you can only
run 32-bit apps) or compatibility mode (that is when booting a 64-bit
Kernel - you can run 64-bit apps in long-mode and 32-bit apps in
compatibility mode) without any required flags/settings whatsoever.

And even if the MMX & SSE options are written for 32-bit x86 shouldn't
they at least compile for 64-bit x86 software? There's absolutely no
difference between SSE/SSE2/MMX/MMXEXT for 32-bit CPUs and
SSE/SSE2/MMX/MMXEXT for 64-bit CPUs - nothing at all, the registers,
µOps and everything else stays the same hence it should work, don't you
think?

Oh and thanks for the /libavcodec/i386/cputest.c hint, I'm gonna give
that a shot and tell whether it helped.

Martin