[MPlayer-dev-eng] mencoder very slow on x86-64 architecture

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sun Jul 27 13:46:51 CEST 2003

Hi,

> In order to bench an x86-64 computer I installed SuSE x86-64 and
> compiled mplayer 0.90. The problem is though, that mencoder doesn't seem
> to recognize the CPU hence does not enable MMXEXT for IDCT transform and
> motion compensation.

does x86-64 able to run x86-i686 32-bit assembly code at all (without extra
prefixing)? the mmx/sse/etc optioms in mencoder/libavcodec are all written
for 32bit x86 platform.

> I have tried everything, rewriting cpudetect and cputable, the Makefile,

lol
you should check libavcodec/i386/cputest.c too

btw why dont you try&patch mplayer cvs isntead? that way you could send
patches back and getting them into next releases. 0.90 is quite old and
buggy.

> IDCT and motion compensation. I'd appreciate any help since mencoder is
> one of the most important benchmarks on that 64-bit platform.

lol

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu