[MPlayer-dev-eng] *PLEASE* release a new stable version!

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Jul 17 21:36:28 CEST 2003

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 09:30:50AM -0700, Ross Finlayson wrote:
> We've been at version "0.90" for *months* now.  It's badly out of
> date.  (My own particular concern is that the "LIVE.COM Streaming Media"
> RTSP/RTP support is broken in version 0.90, but was fixed in CVS since
> then.)

Was it fixed on the 0_90 branch also?

> I hate having to tell people to use the "latest CVS snapshot" version of
> the code, because it's not stable.  (It also doesn't help that - for some
> odd reason - you've now made it difficult to find on your download page
> :-)  But I don't have any choice; there's no good stable version for
> :people
> to use.
>
> Could you please freeze one of the CVS snapshots, test it, and release it
> as a new stable version?

Alex was the maintainer of 0_90, now he is the maintainer of main and does
not have enough time for another branch.  We wanted to release 0.91 from the
0_90 branch and since nobody else wanted to devote time to this task I and
Gabucino have taken it upon ourselves to make the 0.91 release.  It's
finished, I fixed our fonts and we restructured our download page a bit.
I'll maybe add one more docs update and make a call out for translators to
update the other languages.  Expect a 0.91 release in two weeks.

A release from the main branch is also due, Alex already rejected the
configure cleanup patch due to the impending release, so 0.99-something
should also happen soon.

Diego

P.S.: Alex and I thought about including an updated libavcodec with 0.91,
but it does not compile out of the box and is not worth it IMHO.  Also I
found an SVQ3 movie with problems, so no updated libavcodec for 0.91.