[MPlayer-dev-eng] writing video output plugin

Vrihad Shoonya vrihad at myway.com
Wed Jul 16 13:02:08 CEST 2003

I am writing an output plugin for mplayer which
would be able to make use of h/w mpeg(1/2) decoder
available in SiS550 chipset based board. The
company I work with got the required kernel
drivers, libs and api details after signing an
NDA with SiS.

I am planning to distribute mplayer sources and
a binary file along with GPLed shim code so that
GPL clauses are complied with. Also there is no
other way left for me as I do not possess source
code of relevant libraries or kernel modules.

Now the SiS supplied library can be used as an
output plugin (frame buffer based). Should I
compile framebuffer support into mplayer? In that
case if I use mplayer plugin for mozilla (which
is X based) will it show the video correctly in
a window under X11? Perhaps I should use software
based codec in this particular case. I am not
still aware of suitable codec detection procedure
of mplayer. Isn't libmpcodecs/dec_video.c and
codec-cfg.c the right places to look into?

This library requires video in YUV4:2:0 format. Is
it the format used in mplayer when a VCD or DVD is
played? If not, then what are the format conversion
functions available here?

I am pretty new in coding video applications. So some
silly questions will creep in. Anyway it seems that it
is going to be a long question answer session:-)

Thanks in advance
vrihad