[MPlayer-dev-eng] [LUSER]1.randomly pause problem 2. how to do hardware overlay

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Tue Jul 15 01:10:09 CEST 2003

douglas Neo said:
>> First. This post belongs to mplayer-users. It is not even advanced
>> users (users that have already read the manuals)
> Hmm,In fact i'm a developer not a end-user   :)
> Maybe I specified the questions too simple.
yes

>> douglasliu said:
>> > Dear all:
>> >
>> > We'v got two questions:
>> >
>> > question 1: randomly pause during DVD playback
>> >       CPU:Intel P4
>> >       video card:ATI  Rage XL
>> >       OS: Redhat 8.0
>> > Random pause is obvious, every pause last for about half second when
>>  image is  still (can't refresh by new).
>> > After we opened DVD driver's DMA and enabled cache, the situation is
>>  better.  But it still occure randomly (with same machine , ms window
>> is  good to play  same DVD).
>> > It puzzled us .  what mplayer's doing during the pause time? How to
>>  resolve ?
>>
>> You need to add stream cache by e.g. mplayer -cache 32768 dvd://....
>> As you have noticed it is reading problem. Mplayer is waiting kernel,
>> that is waiting the DVD itself to get fresh data.
>> There are more options you may play with hdparm.
> As you know, we have enabled stream cache and DVD DMA, the problem was
> not  due to reading.
> We found that audio_out->get_delay() (in mplayer.c) return abnormal
> value  randomly.  So just exchanged a audio card  and everything became
> fine. :) We believe that A/V sync was disordered by bad audio card.
This problem is described in the documentation, according with a possible
workaround/solution.

>> > question 2 : how to get hardware overlay
>> >       video card : NVIDIA GForce4 MX440
>> > does this card support hardware overlay?
>> > if so , how to code programme?
>> > I have no idea, any piece of word would be helpful
>>
>> Overlay is supported by XFree86 4.3.0 and Nvidia binnary drivers 43.63
>> (previus versions may also support it)
>> you need to add -vo xv option.
>> Pleace send your next questions to mplayer-users.
>> And first read the manual. There are people that are working hard to
>> keep it up to date, and you siply ignore their work.
>>
> This question derived from a project also. You know, our task is to put
> some  image button (such as play,pause, forward and backward ,etc). To
> do so,  end-user can manipulate playing process by remote control.
> As we'v not studied codes in detail. We need some tips how to overlay a
> image  not some subtiles only.
> Thanks!!
What are you talking about?
I donno your tasks. I don't understand why you need image of buttons
( i am sure that remote control have buttons with images:)
In XFree86 video overlays are used via XVideo extension refered by mplayer
as xv (or -vo xv or vo_xv.c). This feature is handled by the video card
driver.
This meen that you'd probably won't be able to use it toggeder with a common
linux-kenel framebuffer.
I compleatly don't understand your point with overlay and subtitles.
In mplayer subtitles are usually drawn directly into the image (yes YUV
image too).
AFAIK there is no mplayer video driver that uses colorkey to draw subtitles.

> Next time, We'll send message more detaild so as to look more technical.
>  ^!^
>
> Best Regards,
> Douglas
Best Regards
   Ivan Kalvachev
  iive

p.s.
i've just got the idea. Be carefull what words are you using. "overlay" in
video
world have a special meening.
if i am right you just want to overlap an video image with another image.
i recomend you use of overlay and draw the image in the overlay window (the
color key trick).
You may also take a look of the "menu" interface - it draw menu system into
the image.