[MPlayer-dev-eng] installing codecs.conf obsolete?

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Fri Jul 11 20:37:33 CEST 2003

Diego Biurrun said:
> Hi!
>
> There was a discussion about editing codecs.conf vs putting -ac/-vc in
> your config file for modifying the codec search order.  I was just going
> to update the docs from a patch that was just sent to me to
> clarify this, but after thinking about this for a while I have come to
> the conclusion that we should not install a codecs.conf file by
> default any longer.  Now that we have a builtin codecs.conf file it is
> no longer necessary to put one in /etc/ or ~/.mplayer/ etc and you
> should only modify that file if you want to fiddle with the internals of
> MPlayer, e.g. if you are a developer.  Since this is apparently causing
> problems for users, I vote for removing codecs.conf from the
> installation process.  Anything I have overlooked?  Opinions?
>
> Diego

Hi today i took a look of  mozilla mplayerplug-in project and quess what
i've sow in
Changelog:
" Determine what MimeTypes to support by reading mplayers codecs.conf file."
Can you find some other way to take all supported codecs without running
mplayer at least 2 times just to query them.

Best Regards
   Ivan Kalvachev
  iive