[MPlayer-dev-eng] installing codecs.conf obsolete?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sat Jul 5 20:54:26 CEST 2003

Hi!

There was a discussion about editing codecs.conf vs putting -ac/-vc in
your config file for modifying the codec search order.  I was just
going to update the docs from a patch that was just sent to me to
clarify this, but after thinking about this for a while I have come to
the conclusion that we should not install a codecs.conf file by
default any longer.  Now that we have a builtin codecs.conf file it is
no longer necessary to put one in /etc/ or ~/.mplayer/ etc and you
should only modify that file if you want to fiddle with the internals
of MPlayer, e.g. if you are a developer.  Since this is apparently
causing problems for users, I vote for removing codecs.conf from the
installation process.  Anything I have overlooked?  Opinions?

Diego