[MPlayer-dev-eng] nvidia binary driver: XV -vm bug workaround?

Jakub Argasiński argasek at tekla.art.pl
Mon Jul 7 12:11:18 CEST 2003

Hello,

first off all, my apologies if Developers' list
is an incorrect place to put such an info, and if
so, notice it to me, please :-), but I thought it
might be useful in some way.

Recently I have discovered strange fact. I've been
using nVidia's binary drivers (GF2 MX; FX currently)
with MPlayer all the time and as many others, I have
experienced MPlayer's crashes when using both -vo xv
and -vm. I've read in the docs it's driver problem -
but about two weeks ago I've compiled CVS version
(don't remember which at the moment - if it's useful,
I will post it soon) and cleared my ~/.mplayer/config
leaving only vo=xv, fs=yes and vm=yes and... no
crashes! Soon I have found the source (?) of problem:

stop_xscreensaver=yes

After removing this line:
- no crashing when switching from 1152x864 to,
  for example, 640x480.
- crashed once or twice when trying to set something like
  400x300 (going to test it).

What's strange: I have no XScreenSaver/KDE saver running
at all :)

Still, I believe it's driver's problem, but I think it
could be a workaround, at least for some cases. I'm
surprised with this and it might sound strange... Maybe
it only works for me (hardware, MDK 9.1 distro, 4363
drivers) so if there's someone who is willing to
investigate it, I will try to provide as many information
as possible (not at the moment, but for about a week).

greetings

--
argasek at JELCZ.org :: http://yesterday.mylove.justdied.com/
"Trzeba żyć jak nowo narodzony Anioł, jak kobieta, która kocha,