[MPlayer-dev-eng] DVDNAV update wanted ?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Jan 24 17:12:24 CET 2003

Hi,

> > probably yes, after 0.90
> > but anywya dvdnav NEVER worked in mplayer and enver will, due to
> > design issues. either mplayer or dvdnav needs heavy rewrites/redesign
> to get
> > them work well together. i'm going for the former...
> this isnt my point of view. most problems were due to libdvdnav if you
> use xine on a machine that supports it, it hasnt got problems.

i disagree. the main problems of dvdnav vs. mplayer:
- cache
- no mouse input handled
- no still images support -> non-animated menus wont work
- no subpicture highliting support -> you can't see selection in menu
- no runtime track switching (audio, sub, etc) possible

unless these are solved (can't be - most are design issues) it won't be
usable.

> even it isnt accepted into the tree I will try to do it, as the needed
> update seems to be minor. note that dvdnav support is a huge source of
> success for xine.
i know it well. and it's also the source of most problems xine have with
their code design and the "metronome" (a-v sync) code...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team