[MPlayer-dev-eng] 0 bit rle (Quicktime)

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Jan 24 00:32:29 CET 2003

Hi,

> I was looking at a bugreport for a zero bit quicktime rle files (one of
> them is also available on incoming ftp, file iioh_300.mov in dir
> qtanimation).
>
> The files are reference files, and contains a single frame rle movie.
> The reference part is not recognized by mplayer.

Imho (not checked this one, but i saw such files already) it is not
'Reference Movie' type, but it's a 'Sprite Animation' (according to naming
convention of qt5 fileformat doc).

Sprite animation is a very silly thing. It contains images or movies, and a
bytecode controlling all them interactively, allowing moving the images,
hiding them and so on. Something like a cell phone game language... :)

This bytecode language also supports hiperlinks (URIs) so it can be
programmed to go to a given URL if you click a given image, or X seconds
spent or something happens. The URL is part of the bytecode. The bytecode is
compressed. demux_mov.c has code to uncompress and dump all 'generic' tracks
(including the bytecode one) to raw files, so you can examine it:

#if 1
    if(verbose>2){
        for(t_no=0;t_no<priv->track_db;t_no++){

so you need -v -v -v to activate it. it will create files t%02d-s%03d.%s
named after track & sample number, and extension autodetected (it recognizes
Macromedia Flash animations for example).

I doubt that we will ever be able to support this mess, imho it just doesn't
worth it. It's somehow comparable to dvdnav incompelxity...

> Mplayer reports it as 0 bit rle files, but they're really 32 bit rle
> files (decoding is not implemented yet).
> The image size is also wrong (32x2 in both samples i tried), while
> display size is correct.

may be a bug in demuxer.
or the image is really 32x2 pixels, these fake reference movies usually
contains only fake images. anyway i've seen such files using GIF and JPG
images.

> If you have a standard rle32 file, please upload it.

look at mphq/MPlayer/samples/V-codecs/QTRLE/

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team