[MPlayer-dev-eng] GIF help needed

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jan 23 00:23:00 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 04:34:29PM -0600, Joey Parrish wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 11:14:15PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> > > On Arpi's suggestion, I made another patch where GIF demuxer colormaps
> > > it all into RGB24 and outputs raw RGB.  (Instead of sending indexed
> > > values to decoder and having decoder map them to RGB24.)
> >
> > no!
> > i didn't said that output RGB24. I said that output RGB8 + palette!
> > and leave it to the filter layer to convert to bgr24 or yuv or whatever the
> > vo wants.
>
> Ah, yes.  Sorry.  But I had even more trouble getting that to work than
> getting RGB24 to work right.  I figured I'd use RGB24 for simplicity at
> least long enough to hunt down my the real problem.  For testing's sake,
> is this acceptable?

IMHO no -- it's just temporary code that should be ripped out in the
final version. Feel free to test like that on your own system, but
when you submit a version for inclusion in mplayer, it should output
the format closest to the 'native format', i.e. RGB8+palette. BTW,
there's also a performance issue here. Converting RGB24->YUV is slow.
Converting RGB8+palette to YUV is super fast. I guess some people use
RGB vo's, but I'm always using mga_vid, so it's annoying to
senselessly convert to RGB24...

If you keep having problems I might get a chance to take a look at the
patch soon.

Rich