[MPlayer-dev-eng] smooth playback vs good avsync

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Jan 9 10:35:01 CET 2003

Hi,

> >>also try -mc 0 (or -mc 0.0001) to reduce a-v correction threshold,
> >>and enable RTC
> >>anyway i suspect he's using the cygwin port so no wonder if it sucks.
> I tried -mc 0 & -mc 0.0001 but that doesn't help and yes I'm, using the
> cygwin port.
> If its a fact that the cygwin port produces jerky playback, and linux
> versions play good then i'll be happy to fix it
> but maybe you guys can give me a hint which is causing it. Is it because
> the cygwin port doesn't use RTC or
> are there other things as well?
yes

mplayer has 3 ways to timer:
1. RTC (hw timer)
2. usleep() (10ms resolution under linux, bad)
3. -softsleep (optional, disabled by default) - busy looping... (cpu burn:))

> If its the RTC then I can change it so it uses windows QueryP
> erfomanceCounter() / QueryPerfomanceFrequency()
> This timer has a much higher resolution and is similar to usleep()

good idea.
add #ifdef'ed cygwin code to linux/timer-lx.c::usec_sleep()
(and don't be confused by dir/filename, it should be named osdep/timer.c :))

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team