[MPlayer-dev-eng] VIA's CLE266 chipset's MPEG2 decoding capabilities

Kim Minh Kaplan kmkaplan at selfoffice.com
Tue Feb 25 15:54:43 CET 2003

Ivan Kalvachev writes :

> I'm afraid that volutiers should already own that MB.
> I get confused and by "Processor Support - VIA C3�, VIA
>Eden� Series ".
> Does this meen that it supports only these processors?

These motherboards are kind of all in one motherboards, comprising
video, sound, I/O, network and CPU onboard.  The main idea is to
fit as much as possible in the smallest space.  So they come with
their own processor soldered on the mother board.

> I've never seen any of those in sale (well in my coutry).

you could try some online shops¹.

> So the question is what do you want from us? And what do you
>have already (X driver, library decoder, or just specifications?)

To that I would add what open source drivers are you willing to
release?  Currently the VIA drivers are binary only.  And the
worst is that they only work for very specific kernel+distribution
combos.  On the VIA board I recently installed I had to use
MPlayer's VESA driver because my distribution is not amongst the
ones that VIA supports.  But this proves to be to slow for DVD
viewing.  May be speed will be sufficient if we can get the CLE266
supported...

Now for the new boxes I install, either I install Windows, either
I go for traditionnal sized motherboard depending on the needs of
my clients.  Off course I could go for yet another distribution to
manage but I think VIA should support things more correctly on
Linux.  Even NVidia manages to make their binary drivers usable on
most distributions.

> Fiona Gatt said:
>
>> On behalf of VIA Technologies, Inc. (the chipset manufacturer
>>www.via.com.tw <http://www.via.com.tw/>  & www.viaarena.com
>><http://www.viaarena.com/>  ) I am emailing you to see if anyone
>>with experience in mplayer would like to work with us to support
>>the CLE266 chipset's MPEG2 decoding capabilities. The CLE266
>>chipset is featured on the VIA EPIA M-series mainboard, which is
>>a fully integrated Mini-ITX form factor (17x17cm) motherboard,
>>being used for various applications around the world, especially
>>building set top box and Hi-Fi PC designs.

Where can we get documentation that would enable us to support the
CLE266?

Kim Minh.

¹ <URL:http://www.linitx.com/>
  <URL:http://www.mini-itx.com/>