[mplayer-dev-eng] install localized manpages +

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Wed Feb 19 09:12:37 CET 2003

On Wednesday, 19 February 2003, Andreas Hess wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 06:53:44AM +0100, Gabucino wrote:

> > > Once again, if that's the way to go, why is mplayer the only program
> > > that forces me to set a bogus environment variable to nothing?
> > Apparently you did.
> >
> > So unless someone _proves_ that _most_ other, localized programs don't
> > install their manpages, there's no sense in writing "_I_ don't want
> > localized manpages."
>
> Please point me to where I've written "_I_ don't want localized
> manpages". Several others and I have repeatedly stated, that they don't
> have these directories. What is a prove for you? Apparently our word
> isn't enough for you. But you're complaining about Debian developers, who
> want to see _one_ mail, that proves mplayer has the right to release
> parts under the GPL. What do you want now? Hundreds of mails, from every
> developer of all localized programs? A survey between all these
> developers? Or just a bogus "ls -R" that everyone can fake?

All Linux boxen I've had access to had those directories. Granted, I've
never used any distro without a decent package management system. I've seen
one Solaris box without any localized manpages. I, personally, think
that the best solution is to install the English man and any specified
with --language (i.e. --language=en,de,pl). Those, who want all should be
able to specify --language=all. RPM behaviour, for example, is different
(at least on my RH box). It installs all translated files unless I specify
appropriate values in certain macros.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/