[MPlayer-dev-eng] packaging cygwin mplayer

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Sun Feb 9 00:38:58 CET 2003

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 08:48:32PM +0100, Sascha Sommer wrote:
> > So, that being said, here's what I've got:
> > I made a small set of patches against CVS today that help me deal with
> > issues I came across in the packaging.  _These are not for inclusion in
> > CVS._  I patched and compiled a static binary with runtime cpu-detection
> > and boxed it up with an app that hides the console window and made a
> > nifty installer based on Inno. (it's free, I don't have the URL handy.)
> > MPlayer installs, associates itself with media file types (not
> > configurable yet, it doesn't even ask { AND YES, THIS WILL TAKE OVER
> > YOUR FILE ASSOCIATIONS, BEWARE} ), and when you launch them you get
> Isn't it possible to configure that with Inno?

Perhaps, but when writing this mail I had only had Inno for a few hours,
and I had spent most of those hours hacking code and recompiling (on a
Pentium 233... ick) so I haven't fully explored how capable Inno is.

> > a directx window, no console, and win32 audio output with framedrop on.
> > OSD is enabled and fonts are installed, and all the expected input
> Do you plan to add freetype support?

I attempted this, but that requires iconv.  Since I already have Arial
packaged for OSD, I decided that would be good enough for now.  However,
I'm not opposed to adding freetype support, and it was an original goal
that I have had to postpone.

> > One problem I had, though, was unsupported video codecs.  When I found
> > one of those, I got only audio, with no video window.  And since I was
> > having the console window hidden, there was no way to quit MPlayer.  :)
> > So, I added in a hack that creates enough of a fake decoder in these
> > cases to keep the vo open for control of the audio.  I would like to
> > eventually replace this with an image that says "Video stream not
> > available" or some such thing, but right now it's a black box.
> What about extending the wrapper app a bit to have an open dialog and
> a simple gui using mplayers slave mode? We wouldn't have the problem with
> audio only files then. Anyway the wrapper app was a very good idea. It
> solved many problems I was thinking about during the last days.

I would be happy to use a windows-based gui-frontend for MPlayer, but I
am not ready to write one.  My experience with native windows coding
began last night.  :)  If you can help produce this frontend, I would
very much appreciate the contribution.

Thanks,
--Joey