[MPlayer-dev-eng] packaging cygwin mplayer

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Sat Feb 8 20:48:32 CET 2003

> Hello!
>
> I've been up all night obsessively finishing a package for cygwin
> mplayer.  I want to make it clear that I hope this is decent work, but
> that I can make no guarantees because I haven't slept at all.  If you
> don't like it, that's fine.  I don't consider this to be release quality
> yet.  In fact, I'm totally prepared for the possiblity that no one other
> than myself thinks this is a good idea.  That happens to me a lot.  :)
Don't worry
It is no bad idea at all.

> </DISCLAIMER>
>
> So, that being said, here's what I've got:
> I made a small set of patches against CVS today that help me deal with
> issues I came across in the packaging.  _These are not for inclusion in
> CVS._  I patched and compiled a static binary with runtime cpu-detection
> and boxed it up with an app that hides the console window and made a
> nifty installer based on Inno. (it's free, I don't have the URL handy.)
> MPlayer installs, associates itself with media file types (not
> configurable yet, it doesn't even ask { AND YES, THIS WILL TAKE OVER
> YOUR FILE ASSOCIATIONS, BEWARE} ), and when you launch them you get

Isn't it possible to configure that with Inno?

> a directx window, no console, and win32 audio output with framedrop on.
> OSD is enabled and fonts are installed, and all the expected input
Do you plan to add freetype support?

> bindings are in effect.  On the boxen I've tested on so far, it actually
> plays very well.
>
> One problem I had, though, was unsupported video codecs.  When I found
> one of those, I got only audio, with no video window.  And since I was
> having the console window hidden, there was no way to quit MPlayer.  :)
> So, I added in a hack that creates enough of a fake decoder in these
> cases to keep the vo open for control of the audio.  I would like to
> eventually replace this with an image that says "Video stream not
> available" or some such thing, but right now it's a black box.

What about extending the wrapper app a bit to have an open dialog and
a simple gui using mplayers slave mode? We wouldn't have the problem with
audio only files then. Anyway the wrapper app was a very good idea. It
solved many
problems I was thinking about during the last days.

Sascha Sommer