[MPlayer-dev-eng] AAC Audio Container

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Mon Aug 18 20:29:26 CEST 2003

Hi.

> is someone working on ADIF and ADTS support for an AAC container?
> Mplayer works just fine with AAC LC/VBR packaged as MP4 in a MOV
> Container, but not with AAC. The next question is: Should this be an
> addon fir the libmpdemux, mplayer uses?

My mkvmerge can read AAC files. Note that ADIF files are virtually
non-existant, and supporting them is REALLY not neccessary. ADTS header
parsing is pretty easy. If someone was interested in writing a demuxer
he could look at my sources
(http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/).

Another 'problem' that might get more frequent is that you cannot
determine whether an AAC file contains SBR AAC - but libfaad's
initialization depends on knowing whether the data is SBR AAC or normal
AAC. Nero has released a very good SBR AAC encoder for Nero 6, and SBR
AAC will become quite popular. But all other files should be easy enough
to decode.

(No, I won't write a demuxer, don't have the time for it. Sorry.)

--
 ==> Ciao, Mosu (Moritz Bunkus)