[MPlayer-dev-eng] Zoran video output problem

Stephen Bain sjbain at akamail.com
Mon Apr 21 22:01:42 CEST 2003

I've had a few problems with the zoran video output driver (-vo zr) and
I wondered if anyone else had encountered them.  I am running MPlayer
0.90 release, on Debian 3.0 with a custom 2.4.19 kernel.  I have tried
compiling with gcc 2.95.4 and gcc 3.0.4.

With the zoran driver selected, mplayer doesn't seem to be able to play
multiple video files by specifing multiple names on the command line.
 The first one plays fine, but when re-initializing the video output for
the second one, it fails.  The same problem seems to occur with other
methods of playing multiple videos with a single execution of mplayer,
i.e. the OSD menu.  This is what happens when trying to play the second
video.

VO Config (320x240->320x240,flags=0,'MPlayer',0x32315659)
VO: [zr] 320x240 => 320x240 Planar YV12
VO: Description: Zoran ZR360[56]7/ZR36060 Driver (DC10(+)/buz/lml33/MatroxRR)
VO: Author: Rik Snel <snel at phys.uu.nl>
zr: found video device /dev/video
zr: MJPEG card reports maxwidth=640, maxheight=480
zr: input: 320x240, cropped: 320x240, output: 320x240, off_y=0, off_c=0
JPEnc init: 320x240 1 320 1 160 1 160
zr: geometry (after 'scaling'): 640x480+0+0 fields=1, w=320, h=240
zr: error requesting 2 buffers of size 131072
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
init_vo failed

FATAL: Could not initialize video filters (-vop) or video output (-vo).

I believe that I have traced the cause of this problem to a few small
bugs in vo_zr.c and jpeg_enc.c

1.  The playback buffer that is mmapped in vo_zr.c is not munmaped when
uninitialising the card.
2.  The queue and synco elements of the zr_info_t structure are not
reset to 0 when uninitialising the card.
3.  The MpegEncContext (j->s) element is not fully initialised in
jpeg_enc_init, but the code seems to assume that some fields are
initialised to 0.

I have attached a patch that fixes these problems for me.  I am not
familiar with mplayer internals, so it's possible that I haven't fixed
the problem in the best way, or that the patch will introduce more
problems :).

Stephen Bain