[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: FB output

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Apr 21 01:30:34 CEST 2003

On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 04:20:57PM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> writes:
>
> > Not only STFW, also UTFC (update the fine CVS)!! -vo fbdev works again
> > as of yesterday, although it's very slow and far from optimal.
>
> Hum. Well I got it working with -vf scale=x:y where x:y are exactly 2x my
> screen resolution. Any other scale factor and it's too slow.
>
> So if fbdev is very slow what other modes might be faster? Is svgalib faster?
> As far as I know the card doesn't have any relevant acceleration so I think
> the thinnest most direct way to address the frame buffer would be the fastest.
> That's why I was looking for a fbdev or svgalib solution.

The reason it's slow is that direct rendering is not supported, and
someone (Michael?) went and broke the yuv->rgb converter in vo_fbdev.
So, now you have to let the codec decode into its own planar yuv
buffer, then run it through the scale filter to convert to rgb and
store the result in a temp buffer, then pass that temp buffer to
vo_fbdev to copy to the screen. VERY VERY slow!!

With direct rendering and/or slices support, it would be very fast.
However it's still mising sync to vertical retrace, so the picture
will shear horribly...

Rich