[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer svgalib or fb configuration on second monitor.

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Apr 20 02:54:12 CEST 2003

On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 08:14:22PM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:

> I have two graphics adapters on my machine. The secondary card doesn't have Xv
> support so it's too slow to play anything much on mplayer, but I'm wondering
> if it wouldn't be possible to use svgalib or a framebuffer console instead.
>
> I can't figure out how to get mplayer via svgalib to use the secondary monitor
> though. Every svgalib program seems to insist on using the primary screen.
>
> And I don't know where to start with the framebuffer stuff. I don't think I
> want to change my primary screen to a frame buffer console as then I would
> lose the accelerated driver.
>
> Is this even possible? Is it going to be faster than using the X11 driver?
> Do I have any other options that might make more sense?

Unless you have 2 agp slots and both cards are agp, or unless you only
plan on playing low-res movies, forget about it.

With that said, you should be able to use fbcon, and that should not
interfere with your ability to use accelerated X, unless your X
drivers really suck (nvidia). You can try it, and it will be a lot
faster than the x11 driver, but probably not fast enough to really
use...

Rich