[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFD] Something...

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Apr 13 19:43:11 CEST 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 02:28:39PM +0200, Daniel Egger wrote:
> Am Sam, 2003-04-12 um 22.43 schrieb D Richard Felker III:
>
> > My point is not that you should be using a better vo. My point is that
> > it's silly to compare performance on a bad-performance machine like
> > yours where fast hardware with proper support in free software is not
> > available.
>
> You're simply wrong here. Hardware support is excellent, the ATI Radeon
> Mobility is one of the best supported GPUs under Linux out there.
> Also my PowerBook beats an Athlon XP-1700 in dnetc's RC5-72. This shows
> that it's just a matter of writing good code and using all the
> capabilities.

But there's no radeon_vid kernel module...

Also I was commenting about the ppc.

> >  On my system, mplayer is probably 2-3x as fast as xine
> > (however, I'm not going to install all the bloated dependencies and
> > stuff just to test a bad movie player that's going to be too slow for
> > me to use, so I don't have actual numbers).
>
> Well, I would have benched it for you if the current mplayer wouldn't freak
> out on my sample vob file with "Too many audio packets in the buffer".
> The perceived performance is equal with both on an Athlon XP-1700. I
> suppose the difference is more like a few percent in either direction
> rather than the 200-300% you claim...

Bench mplayer with -vo mga or -vo somthingvidix versus xine with xv.

> > Also with the incompetence of the xf86 developers, I would trust
> > Nick's untested code more than their xv code!
>
> Who the hell are you to call the developers of the most used application
> on UNIX(-like) systems incompetent?

I'll cite again the root exploit that affects any suid program using
DGA then dropping root. They were notified and to my knowledge never
fixed it, though I haven't checked the latest sources. It takes
incompetence to make such a horrible bug in the first place, though.

Rich