[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFD] Something...

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Apr 12 22:43:57 CEST 2003

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 08:57:39PM +0200, Daniel Egger wrote:
> Am Sam, 2003-04-12 um 16.47 schrieb D Richard Felker III:
>
> > If you're using a junky vo like xv or x11, yes, I'll believe that for
> > sure. On the other hand, comparing xine to mplayer -vo [x]mga or even
> > -vo fbdev is probably a joke.
>
> Just curious: What would be a good vo? Last time I tried xvidix doesn't
> even compile on linux/ppc, let alone work. DirectFB might work but I
> haven't tried it lately.

My point is not that you should be using a better vo. My point is that
it's silly to compare performance on a bad-performance machine like
yours where fast hardware with proper support in free software is not
available. On my system, mplayer is probably 2-3x as fast as xine
(however, I'm not going to install all the bloated dependencies and
stuff just to test a bad movie player that's going to be too slow for
me to use, so I don't have actual numbers).

> I rather trust the junky vo Xv than run something written by whatever
> developer by poking in random registers of hardware. I trust Nick in
> this regard but doubt he'd get it right for non-x86 without the
> hardware. It's trivial to fry a GPU, so I'd rather not try/trust such
> code on my PowerBook.

I've never heard of a GPU fried by bad code. If it can be done, that's
broken hardware design. Also if it can be done, why hasn't some doze
virus author written a virus to fry your GPU already?? Smells like fud
to me.

Also with the incompetence of the xf86 developers, I would trust
Nick's untested code more than their xv code! If there are problems in
his code on ppc, they would probably just result in the hardware being
entirely inaccessible; it's very doubtful that random bad things would
happen.

Rich