[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer G2

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Wed Apr 9 21:26:26 CEST 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:50:04AM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:40:49AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> > i'll port some demuxers (probably asf and real will be the first, since they
> > do work ok now and i have files with multiple streams for testing)
> > i'll rewrite avi and mpeg demuxers, mostly from scratch. teh new avi demuxer
> > will do runtime index building, and will support opendml.
>
> IMO the runtime index building should be a separate layer of the
> demuxer code, so that it can work with ANY demuxer, not just AVI. I
> don't see how it's at all AVI-specific.

I agree.  I know I'm probably the only fan of the gif demuxer, but
indexing to allow seeking was something I had planned for but got too
lazy to add.  I think creating this feature would be easier if there was
some sort of optional 'build index' function for demuxers.  Also, would
it be good to have the index struct for seeking be private to each
demuxer?  I mean, is there any information other than frame numbers,
timestamps, and byte offsets that would be needed in an index struct?
If not, will this index struct be defined outside of the indiviual
demuxer?  I can't see any good reason why either way would be better
than the other.  But I'm interested, so if there is, please tell me.

Thanks,
--Joey