[MPlayer-dev-eng] -ao list brings up a Q: best -ao order?

Sidik Isani lksi at cfht.hawaii.edu
Mon Sep 30 00:58:30 CEST 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 01:05:19AM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As now teh audio_out system can fallback to next driver if init() failed, we
> should review the order/priority of ao drivers in audio_out.c.
>
> Now:
>
> oss, arts, sun, sgi, dxr2, null, alsa5, alsa9, esd, nas, sdl, mpegpes, pcm
>
> imho it's far from being optimal priority for trying.
>
> IMHO: we should try the native drivers (dxr2, mpegpes, oss, sun, sgi, alsa 9,
> alsa 5), then the wrappers (nas, sdl, esd, arts), and finally the dummies (pcm, null)
>
> but i'm not sure about the wrappers - maybe we should prefer them over the
> native drivers? i hope not :)

  If the environment contains $AUDIOSERVER, it would actually be
  reasonable to try "nas" before the native drivers.  Someone running
  with that environment variable wants their sound forwarded to a
  different host, even if /dev/dsp exists.  Not important if it is
  messy to implement this way.  If there's no AUDIOSERVER, I'd suggest
  moving nas after sdl.  It can slow things down trying to make
  socket connections to DISPLAY:8000 and localhost:8000 otherwise.

  By the way, I've re-done the sync-averaging patch more in the way
  you suggested (as a correcting wrapper for audio_out get_delay().)
  It is also completely protected by a command line option so we
  can look at the patch and be sure it doesn't affect the A/V sync
  behavior if you don't give this option.  Maybe this will make it
  safe enough to go into 0.90.  But I'll have some other systems on
  which to test it by middle of the week.  I'd like to wait until
  then before submitting this second try.

Be seeing you,

- Sidik