[MPlayer-dev-eng] -ao list brings up a Q: best -ao order?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Sep 30 01:05:19 CEST 2002

Hi,

As now teh audio_out system can fallback to next driver if init() failed, we
should review the order/priority of ao drivers in audio_out.c.

Now:

oss, arts, sun, sgi, dxr2, null, alsa5, alsa9, esd, nas, sdl, mpegpes, pcm

imho it's far from being optimal priority for trying.

IMHO: we should try the native drivers (dxr2, mpegpes, oss, sun, sgi, alsa 9,
alsa 5), then the wrappers (nas, sdl, esd, arts), and finally the dummies (pcm, null)

but i'm not sure about the wrappers - maybe we should prefer them over the
native drivers? i hope not :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team