[MPlayer-dev-eng] Fwd: RE: Re: divx5linux & 2-pass encoding

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Sep 22 23:32:58 CEST 2002

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 08:06:58PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sunday 22 September 2002 18:41, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Try1.
> >
> > Try2.
> hmm
>  *  OpenDivx comes with it's special license, but the MPlayer Project is
>  *  allowed to distribute it under the GNU GPL license included in MPlayer
>  *  with extra permissions from divxnetworks.
> hmmm, sounds strange to me, gpl allows everyone to redistribute it so this is
> confusing IMHO & IANAL & whatever ...

I agree this paragraph is nonsense. Once one person is allowed to
distribute it under GPL, anyone who gets it that way can redistribute
it under GPL in anything they want, not just as part of MPlayer. Is
Darrius aware of this and consenting to let anyone distribute it under
GPL, or is he totally confused about what the GPL means?

Rich