[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] help request for a dvb-input patch

nsabbi@libero.it nsabbi at libero.it
Sat Sep 14 18:42:18 CEST 2002

>Check this link:

>Have you tried this? If yes, why didn't it work for you?
>If no, you won a STFW.

I liked dvbstream so much that I decided to use 99% of its code for my
patch. Why? Because I need a mechanism to change channel when I'm
watching TV, to use OSD, to record etc.,  all things that can't be
easily made using a pipe like
dvbstream -ps -o 1 2 | mplayer -cache 2048 -

Something that I like is already implemented in mplayer: the TV/TVI
system, so I'd like to have something of that kind for watching
DVB-tv.

P.S. what is a STFW? I guess it isn't something nice.

I understood the hard way that I don't have to touch the voices in
streaming_ctrl and that streaming isn't the best way to go, in this
case.

Yet,  I finally have it working, but with jerky video and using
horrible  coding practices :) :
- it uses mpegtools functions to decode from ts -> ps
- which in turn uses a callback mechanism to tell that it's ready to
go
- so I have to use a buffer to interface the callback function and
dvb_streaming_read.

Please, don't flame me! :)

When it's clean I will attach it, if someone wants it.

Regarding the Right Way to go:
 as far as I'm aware there are two TS demuxers around: one in
ffmpeg/libav, the other  in mpegtools (part of the  dvb drivers
written by Ralph Metzler).

Reading the sources it seems that Metzler's ones are more capable, but
it's a very hard reading indeed (not a single line of comment :( ).

Which one would you suggest to use?

Il sab, 2002-09-14 alle 12:29, Arpi ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> > Hi, I'm trying to write a patch to enable input from my Hauppage
Nova
> > dvb card (without hardware mpeg decoder).
> > Tuning and the flow of data in MPEG PS format are working
correctly
> > (thanks to dvbstream! ), but I don't fully understand how the
> > mechanism of streaming works.
>
> hmm
> imho you'd better creating a new STREAM_TYPE_ and implement a simple
stream
> 'driver' for it, instead of using the network streaming layer which
> as done actually for different purpose.
>
> i don't know the Nova features, but if you can program it to send
PS/PES
> stream to the device that you can read (even with cat /dev/ost/... >
mpegpes.mpg
> or: cat /dev/ost/... | mplayer - ) then it's teh best way.
>
> if it can't do PS/PES or you get it fragmented somehow and you have
> add/remove header bytes etc, then it's more complex.
> for TS->PS you have to implement a demuxer... it's on my TODO for
too long
> but i always delayed as rewritting the MPEG demuxer is also on my
TODO :)

http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu