[MPlayer-dev-eng] help request for a dvb-input patch

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Sep 14 12:29:18 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Hi, I'm trying to write a patch to enable input from my Hauppage Nova
> dvb card (without hardware mpeg decoder).
> Tuning and the flow of data in MPEG PS format are working correctly
> (thanks to dvbstream! ), but I don't fully understand how the
> mechanism of streaming works.

hmm
imho you'd better creating a new STREAM_TYPE_ and implement a simple stream
'driver' for it, instead of using the network streaming layer which
as done actually for different purpose.

i don't know the Nova features, but if you can program it to send PS/PES
stream to the device that you can read (even with cat /dev/ost/... > mpegpes.mpg
or: cat /dev/ost/... | mplayer - ) then it's teh best way.

if it can't do PS/PES or you get it fragmented somehow and you have to
add/remove header bytes etc, then it's more complex.
for TS->PS you have to implement a demuxer... it's on my TODO for too long
but i always delayed as rewritting the MPEG demuxer is also on my TODO :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team