[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RPM] 0.90pre7 new package layout proposal

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Fri Sep 6 00:42:51 CEST 2002

Hi.

Since the GUI is quite usable now and since I've found an easy way to build
the GUI version out of the same spec file, here's what I have in mind:

mplayer-common package containing config files and documentation
mplayer package containing the regular (non-GUI) version (mplayer)
mplayer-gui package containing the GUI version (gmplayer)

The last two contain only the binaries and require mplayer-common to be
installed first. They can be installed independently and can coexist on one
system. The only drawback is that mplayer -gui won't work, but gmplayer
will (and will start the GUI). So a newbie can install just mplayer-common
and mplayer-gui (and fonts) and never use command line. :-)

The rest (mencoder, vidix) remains unchanged.

If there are no objections, I'll release the packages tomorrow morning.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/