[MPlayer-dev-eng] swscaler - any chance of rgb8 output?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Oct 14 00:17:12 CEST 2002

Hi,

> > the other way would be adding rgb/bgr8 input and yuy2 output support to
> > swscaler. so it could do things like yv12->yuy2 upscaling or rgb8->yv12
> > in single step... any volunteers?
>
> I'll try it.  Also, how about adding paletted output for swscale?
afaik it already can output to 8bpp, 4bpp and 1bpp, dithered.
but it doesn't optimize pelatte for each frame, instead it uses 3/2/3 bit
rgb palette and strong dithering. maybe adding different dithering methods
(various grid sizes, floyd-steinberg etc) is nice (but very useless...) idea.

> And yes, I realize how little everyone cares about gif's.  :)
> But I just can't help it, they're so cute.
:)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team