[MPlayer-dev-eng] Added new protocol smb://

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Sat Oct 5 21:58:13 CEST 2002

Sorry if I miss something but I would like to ask: why?
In general, UNIX is about modularity. Thus since Linux already supports
mounting SMB shares why do you need this? It's like you include full NFS
client in user space just because you don't like mounting NFS exported
directory first, than use that. It would turn into VERY complex and large
code to include several (networked) filesystem direct support into mplayer
while the certain fs is already supported by Linux (kernel).
Also, if mounting is not good for you, there is a library (however I forgot
its name) which can be forced to use with LD PRELOAD and it will handle
some libc file functions on its own to allow to use //machine/share ... etc
like "paths" as you expect like native "unix paths" without a single line
changed in the source of the application.

AGAIN this mail is not against you work, it's only a question about it.

--
- Gábor (larta'H)