[MPlayer-dev-eng] CVS alternatives

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Oct 1 01:07:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

CVS sucks^H^H^H^H^Hhas some unwanted limitations, it's fact.
There was soem discussion in the past about swtichting to bitkeeper
(after that the kernel did) but no one of us trust the closed source
program and its tricky, developer-unfriendly license, so we dropped
the idea, even that bk has some nice features we really need:
- work offline (you can do independent commits without having net
  access to the repository) - probably can be workarounded for CVS,
  either using local copy with branch, or i remember seeing such cvs
  wrapper somewhere at fm.
- better, intelligent merging. cvs's auto-merge is sometimes worse
  than nothing, it fails on trivial changes or its merge results
  duplicated uncompilable code...
- file renaming/moving/cloning etc... you know. - yes i know there is
  meta-cvs which has own file database over teh cvs repository to
  workaround handle this, but it's messy hack.
- change sets (changes on multiple files in multiple dirs, cvs
  handle them as independent per-file change)

so, what about other, better-than-cvs and opensource alternatives?

subversion - its' at early state of development, just reached the point that
  even works. i wouldn't move mplayer to it yet...

meta-cvs and other cvs wrappers/extensions - dunno, they are all hacks.

today alex shown me an article about rev. control tools, it had no
sense but it mentioned 2 tools i didn't know yet:

arch - unfortunately i can't get it, the site www.regexps.com is down.
  anywya i found the authors mail at gcc list, telling about plans, and that
  first arch release was at 2002 january, so it's a young project too.

aegis - aegis.sf.net
  this is a very interesting one. reading teh long feature list, it's
  similar to bitkeeper, while is being GPL. it's developed since 1991, and
  self-hosting since 1991. it's very interesting at first look, but also a
  bit overcompilacted too. it can use various tools as backend, from rcs to
  some own code, has thousands of commands etc. worth a try.

is there any good (worth-to-mention) rev. tool i missed?
any experiments with these?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team