[MPlayer-dev-eng] Sorry, but can I add licence lines in sources?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Nov 21 22:56:54 CET 2002

Hi

On Thursday 21 November 2002 22:17, Björn Sandell wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:31:50 +0100
>
> Dariusz Pietrzak <eyck at nowanet.lub.pl> wrote:
> > Anyhoo, i've got this problem - some sources in mplayer have their
> > licence removed ( i.e. they are taken from some GPL or sth project, and
> > have licence lines erased ), can I re-add this?
> > ftp-masters said they cannot distribute mplayer because of such
> > problems.
> >  And another licence stuff - there are some files, that are written
> > specially for mplayer, but have no licence, since mplayer was supposed
> > to be GPL, it should be safe to assume that if someone written
> > something for integration into mplayer, he has to use GPL licence.
> >  Is it possible for people that commited those files to add some licence?
> > Or can/should I do that?
>
> I strongly agree with this! If there are files without licens/copyright
> statements, please do add them.
grep -iL copyright `find . -name "*.c"` | wc -l
355
grep -il copyright `find . -name "*.c"` | wc -l
135

hmm, this is bad IMHO, i mean if ppl dont want to add the whole GPL banner
then fine but at least a single line like
/* Copyright (C) 2100 BC 'the foobar' <foo at bar.org>, License GNU GPL v2 */
would be nice

> (And I hope this talk about removed licenes
> is some urban myth or something. ;)
AFAIK it is just a myth, i dunno of any removed licenses ...

Michael