[MPlayer-dev-eng] life after the 0.90 release...

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu May 30 22:04:01 CEST 2002

Hi,

> Arpi writes:
>  >
>  > I think we should/will release 0.90pre5 at this week, and if no new fatal
>  > bug is found, it will be the final 0.90 release.
>
> There's a ton of documentation patches from me still floating
> around..  Will these be included?

gabu is busy and anyway is too lazy to do this funny job...

i tried to follow your patches, but after soem time, there are too many
threads and you send new versions of the same pacthes attached to every
mail, so really hard to find which one is the final one...

could you collect them, and send them to me (or to the list) attached?

i'll apply them.

about this readme stuff - i still feel too many problems wiht it, so i'll
probably try to reorganize it to be accepted by me :)

imho, the ordre of things should be:

1. if cvs version, get libavcodec, for mpeg4/divx support
2. install win32 codecs. recommended, the native codecs only support a few,
common formats like divx and mpeg, for old formats, for rare formats, for
very new formats (like wmv) for faster decoding of some formats (cvid...) it
is required
3. run ./configure, or with gui run ./configure --enable-gui
  check its output, install -dev packages if needed (no x11 detected etc)
  and re-run ./configure until you're statisfied with the results
  if you're unsure about video/audio drivers, refer html docs video/sound
  section and find what is needed/recommended for your video/sound card
4. run make, and make install as root
5. if you want subtitles or osd, install font package to common or user's
  ~/.mplayer dir
6. if you enabled gui, downlaod skin(s) and install them ...
7. you've done. try it, if something doesn't work, then rtfm. you may ask
   help at mail lists, but it's recommended to read docs/bugreprts and supply
   the required infos described there...

>  > 1. solve the i18n problem. [???]
>
> Great, then I can start spellchecking and rewording all of MPlayer's
> messages in one file instead of tackling all of the sources.

:)

>  > Comments? :)
>
> That sounds like a lot of internal cleanup, but what about more "user
> visible" changes?  Which (if any) feature requests will be
many things will pop up when those internal changes will happen, remember to
the libmpcodecs/vifeofilter layer, now you have tons of filters, you can use
postprocess with every codec etc etc... they wasn't even planned.

the demuxer redesign (my TODO no.1 entry) will allow users to convert more
than 1 audio and 1 video stream with mencoder, add mpeg-ts support, fix mpeg
vs mp3 detection problems. add avi seeking without -idx. add remaining time
display for formats support it (via control()) etc...

the muxer layer will add direct svcd encoding etc

> implemented?  Will the other keys still work while a movie is paused
> instead of unpausing the movie?  Will Real and QT be reverse
no plans to change this

> engineered? ;-)
dunno, some ppl are working on those

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team