[MPlayer-dev-eng] Import of VIDIX drivers

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Thu May 23 09:12:23 CEST 2002

Hello, Arpi!

On Wed, 22 May 2002 23:17:36 +0200 you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Why you don't import fixed vidix drivers?
> > Do you have planes to remove this technology from mplayer?
>
> no
> i just
> 1. can't test them (afair Michael made changes to mach64 part)
these changes were imported into my CVS too.
> 2. don't have time
>
> > I ask it because I have planes to implement bus mastering
> > as next step of decoding speedup (after finding or implementing
> > some dha_helper for linux ;) but this feature is useless
> > in single-thread decoding since speed of dma transfer ~= speed
> > of CPU transfer and only possitive effect from this technology
> > can be reached with using decoding ahead in thread-based version.
> no, it won't be useless
> i've already explained this at dri-devel ~ a week ago, to Peter Surda

As I said - probably yes.
Really in single thread decoding it will have effects too, but you will be need
decode not in the next frame but ahead. Thus you will have fixed distance
between video and audio in several frames. (means audio first).
I guess that triple buffering will be not enough here.
(I guess you'll need 5-6 frames at least if you want to keep some minimal
smoothness on screen).