[MPlayer-dev-eng] codecs.conf versioning

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon May 20 03:30:18 CEST 2002

Hi,

What about adding a version number to the codecs.conf file, and check
for this number in mplayer at the startup?
it shouldn't require up-to-minute codecs.conf, but we could increase the
version number at incompatible changes (when the new version is REQUIRED
to work)

something like:
version 123
should be ok, right?

why?
we should finally solve the problem when users have old codecs.conf
somewhere causing strange bugs and crashes...

the only question is: what numbering sheme to be used?
we could use a counter, starting from 1 and increasing every time when
a big change is done, or use something like mplayer version number +
subversion? like 0.90-3 ? later may look better but hard to parse and handle.

ideas?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team