[MPlayer-dev-eng] [BUG] in mms support

Bertrand Baudet bertrand_baudet at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 12:40:58 CEST 2002

On Monday 13 May 2002 03:22 pm, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Do you want to have mmst support in mplayer even if the protocol is
> > less well understood than the current mms over http?
> > The current mms over http has been tested for some time now, and it's
> > working fine AFAIK.
> > I'm just afraid that by adding the mmst support, mplayer will be less
> > reliab le
> > than by using the http one. Note that the proper fall back should be
> > mmsu, mmst and then http.
>
> what about this order: http, mmst (mmsu if implemented)

Yes, sure, we are not obliged to do the same as MS ;)

> so, if http fails (as many bugreports says at -users, they're getting 404
> error with this http stuff) then try mmst.

Ok, I checked the user ML and find one URL that has a server that doesn't
support MMS/HTTP but does work with MMS/TCP(mmst)

mms://media.maplemusic.com/umbrella/multimedia/thedears-noreturn-high.wmv

> ie. use http if possible, an dfallback to mmst if http fails.
>
> it won't decrease realiability/stability, but will give a chance to servers
> which refuse http mode.

I commited the mmst support into CVS and made the changes to try MMST
after an MMS/HTTP failure.
So now the above url should work.

I tried with one of my test stream and I got a sig11...
This stuff still need some work and I'm not sure to be able to make it
stable enough for the 0.90 release.
It's enable by default for now, but I can disable it for the release if needed

Some time I should seperate the asf_streaming.c file in 2 files:
asf_http_streaming.c and asf_streaming.c
so all the mms/http related stuff will be in one file and the
asf_streaming.c will just be used to try the different protocols, and
for the common code from mms/http and mms/tcp support.
Let me know the recommended solution to not mess up too much
the CVS history.

Bertrand